One Pennsylvania is a statewide base-building organization that promotes economic justice with a racial justice analysis. We believe justice is inclusive and interconnected, and that we only win together. Our motto is to follow the money, confront the power, and make real change. We unite low income and working class activists with the support of a broad coalition of community, labor, faith, and students’ organizations. Our members are workers, students, parents, seniors, people with disabilities, and retirees who are excited to learn, collaborate, and build power. Together, we tackle the fundamental economic justice and political participation problems of our community.
One Pennsylvania campaigns for good jobs, strong and healthy communities, and corporate accountability. Together, we fight for social justice and tackle the racial, gender, and economic inequality that holds back working families. Working with us is demanding and exciting. Come help build a movement to change Pennsylvania.
One Pennsylvania is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, LGBTQIA people, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Western PA Political Associate will report to One Pennsylvania’s political director and work in partnership with One Pennsylvania’s Western PA team. Major responsibilities include:
- Implement yearly political plan by working with political team in the planning and evaluation of voter engagement and political programs;
- Implement a member engagement and advocacy program to hold elected officials accountable with measurable impact on education and policy.
- Coordinate with other departments within the organizations to ensure that the political program aligns with One Pennsylvania’s broader strategy, particularly close coordination with issue campaign leads and organizing team.
- Raise and leverage relationships to support political programs;
- A demonstrated commitment to social and racial justice issues and understanding of challenges facing immigrant communities, communities of color, and low-and moderate income families;
- At least 1 years’ experience in electoral, civic engagement, or political campaigns, with some relevant connection to community, labor, or other non-candidate politics;
- Experience managing political or voter engagement campaigns;
- Familiarity with political data, latest technologies, and best practices in the field;
- Independent and strong leader that is able to drive project and programs to completion in fast-paced environment;
- Ability to work within a coalition of diverse organizations and partners;
- Experience working in diverse communities and with grassroots organizations;
- Excellent writing and communication skills;
- Results-focused and organized;
- Self-motivated – proven ability to work independently; and
- Willing to have significant travel schedule (Up to 20% travel monthly)
- Creative, effective at solving complex problems, and a strategic thinker who can evaluate a competitive landscape and craft a multi-year plan.
- Experience with successful grassroots lobbying campaigns.
- Well organized and able to work on multiple legislative and administrative proposals.
- Strong field organizing experience.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Knowledge of the current education, political and legislative issues at the local, state, and national levels.
- Experience organizing in under resourced communities (particularly communities of color) and prior training in anti-oppression, equity, and inclusion organizing
Position is based in Pittsburgh but occasional travel within the state of Pennsylvania can be reasonably expected.
Competitive salary ($48,000- $58,000) commensurate with experience. Benefits package includes fully paid health insurance, optional 401K with a generous employer match. Professional development opportunities. Generous paid time off allowances.
Owning and operating a car is required, willingness to travel and the ability to competently navigate the city with activists are required. Occasional in-state travel is required, opportunities to travel across the country for training or with members can be reasonably expected. One Pennsylvania provides mileage reimbursement at the Federal rate, per diem and lodging when working away from home.
Positions are open until filled, but priority is given to applications received by January 16th.
To apply: Please send your resume and cover letter to Salewa@OnePA.organd carbon copy: email@example.com.
Salary: $48,000 – $56,000
Duties and Responsibilities:
Organizers perform a wide range of duties focused on empowering people most affected by our
economic system to stand up for themselves and join with their family, friends and neighbors to use
their strength to win improvements on the job and in society. In a typical campaign, an organizer…
● Identifies, recruits, and trains leaders to help lead the campaign
● Builds membership and tests community support
● Creates positive leadership relationships with member leaders and activists
● Plans and executes large member actions (actions, rally, etc.)
● Mobilizes members (house calls, Lobby Day, Meetings, Door Knocking)
● Records conversations, assessments, and follow-ups with member leaders
● Maintains and updates various campaign lists and data systems
● Charts and analyses membership and community involvement
● Work fluidly in a team where you are sometimes a leader and sometimes a follower
● A demonstrated commitment to social and racial justice issues and understanding of challenges
facing communities of color, immigrant communities, and low and moderate income families;
● Excellent communications skills;
● Ability to show leadership in large and small groups;
● Independent and strong leader that is able to drive projects and programs to completion in a
● Ability to work within a coalition of diverse organizations and partners;
● Some experience on environmental issues;
● Experience working in diverse communities and with grassroots organizations;
● Results focused and organized;
● Self-motivated – proven ability to work independently;
● Proficient computer skills;
● Willing and able to work in a team where roles are fluid;
● Willingness to work long and irregular hours (45 hours a week regularly and able to flex up to 60
hours per week).
It is critical that all applicants have the ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and
cultures, and challenge people to take risks in order to make change.
Travel: Owning and operating a car is required, willingness to travel and the ability to competently
navigate the city with activists are required. Occasional in state travel is required, opportunities to travel
across the country for training or with members can be reasonably expected. One Pennsylvania provides
mileage reimbursement at the Federal rate, per diem and lodging when working away from home.
Compensation: Competitive salary ($48,000 – 58,000) and benefits package includes fully paid health
insurance, optional 401K with generous employer match. Professional development opportunities.
Generous paid time off allowances.
Location: Position is based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania but occasional travel within the state of
Pennsylvania can be reasonably expected.
To Apply: Send a resume and cover letter explaining your interest to Cecily@OnePA.org and
Glenn@onepa.org. Please include the word Organizer in the title of your email. Application deadline
March 1, 2019.
Equal Opportunity: One Pennsylvania is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, LGBTQIA people, and
people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Reports to: The Communications Specialist reports to the Executive Director, but receives significant guidance from One PA’s Political and Organizing Directors, and works closely with members and staff.
Summary: The Communications Specialist will develop a comprehensive strategic communications plan for One PA, and will lead and participate in the execution of that plan, the goal of which is to broaden the impact and visibility of One PA’s campaign, organizing and electoral work. This position will create and/or maintain and build the channels through which information is shared between One PA and its many target audiences.
- Develop and implement an integrated, organization-wide strategic communications plan that centers our members, broadens organizational reach and visibility, and deepens organizing impact
- Develop and implement a public relations strategy that allows One PA to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media, elected officials, and key influencers/thought leaders
- Identify and leverage earned media opportunities
- Support actions/events with a comprehensive media plan, including the drafting of press materials, media follow-up, and training and preparing members to be effective spokespersons
- Actively cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure positive coverage of issues of strategic importance to One PA
- Frame and craft compelling individual campaign messaging, frameworks, and narratives
- Create, curate, and synthesize on-message content for email, website, and social media platforms
- Prepare talking points, speeches, testimony, presentations, and other supporting communications materials
- Draft all copy intended for public consumption to ensure alignment with the strategic communications plan
- Retain and increase digital audience engagement in each geographic target area on all of One PA’s social media channels
- Utilize digital, text, and online advocacy tools to engage a variety of audiences to advance campaign goals
- Run and manage One PA’s paid digital advertising program, including targeting, placement, administration, performance analysis, modification of copy and targeting, pay-per-click bids, and duration
- Manage and maintain the One PA website and create affiliated campaign landing pages as needed
- Build and maintain a strategic, targeted email program to complement organizers’ field work
- Provide data management support and manage consultant/vendor relationships as needed
- Potentially manage other communications staff
- Excellent writing and oral communications skills.
- Significant communications experience that includes a blend of advocacy, media relations, and digital organizing
- Experience managing and executing across several communication channels
- A demonstrated passion for social and economic justice
- Experience managing and analyzing business social media accounts
- Experience with digital toolsets, text programs, and content management systems
- Experience with WordPress and/or HTML
- A strong track record of positioning an organization to achieve tangible outcomes in a competitive communications environment
- Recommended but not required: experience managing and coordinating daily data strategy, ability to work with vendors to acquire and maintain data that enhances targeted outreach, experience working with partner organizations to enhance supporter/voter contact programs; direct organizing experience
Please send resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org
One Pennsylvania is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, LGBTQIA+ people, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.